Sunday 28 September 2014

My #beautystoptober Challenge

#beautystoptober

Hello there, lovely folks. Now, around this time of year, there's numerous adverts on tv for 'Stoptober' and 'Stay Sober for October', for smoking and alcohol, respectively. Now, I don't smoke, and nor do I drink that much, so giving up either of those for a month didn't seem like a great deal of effort, but I do however, have something I need to give up. I need to stop buying makeup and skincare. I am obsessed with it, to the point that I'm spending a good £150+ a month on it, which isn't something I can generally afford to do each month. Enter this idea. It popped into my head one day last week, and I made a snap decision to do it. No makeup or skincare purchases for the month of October. Quite a rash decision, but I'm determined to do it. For even more of an incentive, I've decided that everyday I go without buying makeup or skincare, I will donate money to Cancer Research UK. Not only will this give me that 'No, I can't buy this product, as that's less money to give to Cancer Research' feeling, but even if I only pop a £1 or £2 in a jar a day, it's money better spent; as not only does it allow me to prove to myself that I can go without buying products for myself, for a month, but also, that I don't need to keep up to date with new products to make my blog interesting.

I've got my Cancer Research UK form all ready for me to fill out at the end of the month, and I think it'll strengthen my resolve, so I don't spend anything on makeup/skincare, as to be honest, I have far too much of it anyway. I hate to admit it, but my Mum is right, I do have too much makeup (which I don't think is that bad for a beauty blogger... but, oh well). This will not only allow me to use up what I already have, but who doesn't like a good 'Shopping the stash' post? I certainly do, especially if there's a certain look that someone is trying to create. My hashtag #beautystoptober will be in use throughout the month of October, and will be featured on this blog at least once a week, just so you guys know how i'm coping. If I use a lot of sad, crying face emojis on Twitter, then the challenge is not going well. But money spent on me, is less money for Cancer Research, so I'm going to try my best. For the month of October, expect to see a few posts on the challenge, me shopping my stash, and talking about products that I've been trying out for the past few weeks or so. I'm really trying to be positive about this month, as I think, if I can go for the entire month of October not buying makeup or skincare, then I can do it in the future, should I need to save some serious money. I'll be thinking of my future tiny flat, and my future sausage dog for inspiration to get me through the month, as well as the money I put into my #beautystoptober jar, helping those fighting cancer. Actually, i'm ready for it now. Let's do it. C'mon October, I'm not afraid of you. 
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Great idea :) it's always good to reflect on what you have every now and again! I'm trying to only buy beauty things when I actually run out of something! Xx

    http://www.jasmincharlotte.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant way to curb spending and do something good instead :) It's so easy to get caught up in the materialism aspect of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideaaaaaa :D I want to join in! I need to get rid of so much stuuuuufff D:

    Danniella x
    www.famousinjapan.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© bexhowells. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig