Sunday 19 June 2016

Skincare for when your skin is having a freak out.

DSC_0420

As someone who has ridiculously bad hormonal breakouts, I thought that this post would be the best way to show how I combat them. I hate the days when I wake up and have loads of blemishes, some under the skin, and some just there... blatantly there. Looking at me as if to say, 'what're you gonna do about it?'. How rude, right? Basically what I do, is I cleanse, masque and then moisturise like crazy! I want all the badness to be sucked out of my skin, before nourishing what's left with natural oils and goodness... all in the hope that they'll disappear and leave me be. I can dream, at least. Most of the time, it doesn't happen. They reduce in size, but they don't entirely go away... much to my dismay. So I'm just going to run through some products that help in aiding blemishes on their way... (the correct way being not on my face or as far away from me as possible).

Cleansers:

To cleanse, or not to cleanse... that is the question. Except there is really no question at all, but really just consider which are the best and most suitable for the most sensitive of skin situations. When I have really bad hormonal breakouts, my skin needs natural and non-abrasive skincare to remove makeup, so I try and stick to an oil for a first cleanse such as Una Brenna's Vitamin C+ Brightening Cleansing Oil which melts away makeup and does very well as removing those pesky waterproof eye makeup products. Following that first cleanse, I also prefer a gentle second cleanse and MeruMaya's Melting Cleansing Balm is perfect, as it just leaves the skin feeling clean, fresh and supple; which is the perfect base for a face mask or just to start my skincare routine.

Two other products which are also recent skincare additions and wonderful for a double cleanse, are UltraBland from Lush Cosmetics, a beeswax based cleanser that regulates the skin whilst being full of natural products and Liz Earle's Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser, which is super light, nourishing and leaves the skin feeling lovely and soft.


DSC_0421

DSC_0422


Masques/Masks:

One of my favourite part of my extensive skincare routine, is when I put a mask on, as I know it's going to help my skin immensely. Whether it's clay based like Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque, which is amazing at shrinking pores, drawing out impurities and controlling oil on my t-zone - which to be fair, is very similar to an oil-slick some days. Baaaad days. For a sweet, calming hit of moisture I adore Antipodes Aura Manuka Honey Mask, which just surrounds me with the scent of honey and lemon - it's so refreshing and calming... it's like someone wrapping your skin in the most beautiful of scented blankets... ugh, it's totally divine. A thick layer of this is divine on the skin and I find that mine drinks it up so so fast - must be desperate for all of the natural goodness from the Antipodes tube. For a serious exfoliation hit then I turn to Ren's Glycolactic Radiance Renewel Mask, a chemical exfoliant mask that combines fruit enzymes and acid to aid in resurfacing the skin - I love the way it tingles, as I know that it's doing the job I need it too. My skin always looks so glowy and fresh the next morning; it's a must have for scarred or acne prone skin, as not only does it exfoliate, but it helps to repair the skin. 

Some honourable mentions are masques are: Rosy Cheeks Fresh Face Mask by Lush Cosmetics, which is the prettiest dusky pink shade, and draws upon the properties of rose to calm the skin, whilst the clay balances the skin. Also for hydration, La Roche Posay's Hydraphase Intense Masque, which I use primarily on my cheeks and chin, as they tend to be the driest areas of my face (my chin is always really, really dry). I've yet to find any chemical exfoliator masques that I like as much as the one from Ren, but I will update you should I find any... or if you have any recommendations I would love to hear them!

Oils:

A little addition to this post, and not one for your face (shock!), is a bath oil. There's nothing that soothes me as much as a hot bath, and a calming bath oil as the natural scents just envelop you in a hug that you don't want to let go of. These mini's from Aromatherapy Associates are the perfect accompaniment for a soak, as you can concoct your own bath oil cocktails, depending on what mood you're in, and what your body and mine requires. A little bit of Relax Deep and Support Equilibrium can go a long way - trust me!

Another bath oil that is amazing at unwinding muscles is from Neom. I purchased the Sicilian Lemon and Fresh Basil Bath Oil and I feel like it was one of the best discoveries that I've made in relation to skincare products. A moisturising and relaxing oil not only unwinds muscles, but also infuses the skin with nourishment, leaving my limbs feeling supple and smooth, ready for a light coating of moisturiser before slipping into bed for a night full of sleep. I always find that I sleep best after using a bath oil - it must make me so relaxed that I slip into the land of dreams as simply and easily as I can. 

DSC_0423

DSC_0424
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© bexhowells. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig