Saturday 7 June 2014

The Life Update, Holiday style.


(I wrote this whilst I was in France, but because of dodgy wifi, I was unable to post it. This will be the same story for mostly all of my French/holiday themed posts. That being said, hope you enjoy them)

As I’m writing this, I’m on holiday. Yay for me. I wanted to do a little life update, just so you guys know where I am… life wise. I’m pretty happy with where I am in my life, but I still feel like I should sort myself out before I turn 23 next month. It’s such a scary thought that I’m going to be 23 soon… it doesn’t seem that long since I turned 22, or 21 for that matter. It’s a bit terrifying isn’t it? How fast time goes and how you grow as a person?

But back to my holiday; I’m in France, which I always love, as I came here every summer as a child, and I still feel like there are thousands more things to see. We used to camp and visit Chateau’s, Museums, War Memorials and picturesque towns, and this holiday is almost no different. Except this time, I’m in a log cabin (which is gorgeous, I’ll show pictures in another post) in a wonderful site near Compiegne, which is a very key area for the Northern battles in WWI and WWII – so much so in fact, we visited an American War Grave Memorial in Belleau yesterday (Tuesday the 3rd of June) and aside from the immaculate beauty of it, as it was so pristine, there was also that tranquil eeriness of it – the quiet, so undisturbed except when the flags were brought down at 5, and they were playing ‘Last Post’ – it was very moving. There was also quite an exciting moment when I got to fold the American flag with the French man in charge, and then with an American, the second time around (there were two flags, my flag folding isn’t that bad).

Driving around France and stumbling onto sites is my idea of a perfect holiday - laying in the sun whilst drinking, which does sound appealing, doesn’t really get me excited about a holiday – I love finding new things and learning more about the two World Wars, then before I left. My family are massive history buffs so finding Chateau’s and Memorials are what we go on holiday for, and I can’t imagine enjoying a holiday as much as I do when I go with them. I didn’t appreciate it as much as when I was younger, but since going to University and really studying certain aspects of history, WWI and WWII are my undisputed favourite aspects of our most recent history as a nation. I think it’s endlessly interesting, whether learning about the Allies or the Axis.


So yeah, I’m a bit of a history nerd, but that totally works for me, because most of my family are too – which is why I’m pretty happy these days, or have been for the past few days, despite the lack of wifi. Wifi, should be a common decency, but I have quite enjoyed not having it – mainly because I’ve been drinking and eating far too much. Ahh, holidays, the best excuse to be incredibly gluttonous; totally foresee a bit of a detox going on when I get back though… best enjoy that fourth macaroon of the day then, yes?
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Sounds like a beautiful and relaxing holiday! Wish I can visit French one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super jealous! Hope you're having a lovely holiday!

    Stephanie
    http://missstephanieusher.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3436251
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

© bexhowells. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig