Saturday 21 February 2015

Urban Decay Naked 2 Basics Palette

Urban Decay Basics 2 3

Urban Decay Basics 2 1

My first Urban Decay palette. I know, bad blogger. The Naked palettes did appeal to me, but a part of me knew that my mum would probably have a few choice words to say if she knew that I'd spent £40 on one eyeshadow palette; but who's to say that I won't get one in the future? I thought that Naked 2 Basics palette would be a really good introduction to the world of UD eyeshadow, as I'm already a huge massive fan of their lipsticks and eyeliners. This, is a complete nude/smokey eye look that can be worn subtle or vamped up, and is basically all you need in one palette. Six buttery soft shadows that can create any look - whether suitable for the day, or smoked up for the evening. I, myself am a huge fan of the nude smokey eye - using the three lightest colours to build up a gentle intensity (skimp, stark and frisk) with maybe a little 'undone' smudged on the lash line - it's basically a collection of slightly warm, neutral shadows that I was obsessed with for weeks when it first arrived. Then I dropped the palette, and undone smashed, so now whenever I use it, I keep a cotton pad over the 'undone' shadow, just so that it isn't further damaged - because I will cry should it actually all fall out.

This matte palette usually costs around £23 (here), but I bought it from Cohorted for £15, when they had their deal on - and now that I know about the quality, I would totally spend £23 on it. I think it's great to read about the palette, and see one in real life for all of five minutes, but when I want to invest in an item of makeup that's over £20, I want to know if I'm going to like it. I can assure those of you who have the same issues as me, this palette is totally worth it. Shadows that last all day, don't crease and pack some serious pigmentation pay off, as well as being so easy to blend, no matter what eyeshadow brushes or fingers, you use. In comparison to the Naked Basics original palette, these shadows are somewhat warmer, more neutral and softer in choice of colour, as they're no black, just a kind of charcoal grey, which I love, as it's nowhere near as harsh as black, but still gives some colour intensity. One of my favourite colours is 'frisk', shortly followed by 'primal', as not only do they blend together seamlessly for an intense, but not too dark look, but they apply so well. 

Skimp - a soft, almost bone esc colour, the perfect base for a soft, subtle eye, can be used all over the eyelid, as well as taken up to the brow bone. 
Stark - a darker neutral, a sort of sandy beige, perfect for building intensity in the crease of the eye and along the lash line.
Frisk - one of my favourites, can be worn alone or blended into the crease. A soft grey/beige that can be used on any skin tone for a subtle colour, or to build a smokey look.
Cover - a soft beige/brown, very neutral and a very essential colour for a brown/bronze smokey eye - this colour I one I reach for over and over again.
Primal - your almost typical dark brown, but this has a slight grey warmth to it that makes it fantastic for the crease, as well as using on the lash line. 
Undone - a soft charcoal grey/black, which is a more subtle offering than black, but still packed full of intensity. 

For me, the Urban Decay Naked 2 Basics Palette is a perfect matte offering; a subtle, but buildable palette that for me, was instrumental in introducing me to the world of Urban Decay and their eyeshadows - and I will admit, I am a convert. Just watch this space. I may be offering up a Naked palette soon. Imagine me with 10+ shadows to lust over. Are you a fan of Urban Decay? Do you own any of their infamous palettes? 

Urban Decay Basics 2 2

From left; Undone, Primal, Cover, Frisk, Stark and Skimp.
Urban Decay Basics 2 4
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. i've heard so many good things about this palette and i've wanted to pick it up for ages, you got it for such a good price! great post :-)

    fashion, beauty and an existential crisis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try both of the Naked Basics palettes, they're such handy little ones to have! I can't decide which to get!

    alice ♡
    beautybyalicee

    ReplyDelete

© bexhowells. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig