Friday 11 March 2016

March: My Instagram catchup, tips and favourite accounts.

ohkalukalay Instagram 1

ohkalukalay Instagram 2

I knooooooow, it's been ages since I last posted an Instagram catchup, so I thought today, why not switch it up and show all you lovelies what's been going on. I think the first thing that catches your eyes... PUGS. I looooove pugs. My cousin has two, and they are just the best. Squishy faces, mischievous personalities and whilst one just wants to cuddle all day, the other wants to play... so if you're feeling snuggly or playful, there's a pug for you! The fawn pug is Brian, and the glossy black pug is Bertie... they're such darlings, but don't let their big eyes deceive you, they are little monkey's and know exactly what they're doing. Ugh, they're such cute little puddings. 

Another thing that you may have noticed via my Instagram, is that I went to London the other week. How was it, you ask? It was fantastic! Harry Potter Studio's is everything I ever dreamed of, and London is a place that I've only been once or twice in my life, so actually being there, walking around and being able to photograph it, I'm sure I'll remember the experience for a long time. My boyfriend (Lloyd) and I spent hours just walking around, and being deceptively flat, London had me walking miles and miles, just looking at its architecture and beauty. One beauty that I did find, was Charlotte Tilbury's Store... and it was a dream. Everything was perfect in there. Glass, mirrors, ornate little boxes for keeping cotton buds in, roses... it was all just beautiful. It's an art deco dream, and somewhere all beauty lovers should make the pilgrimage to - you'll not regret it. Whilst in London, I took the customary Liberty London flower shots, because they were just so wonderfully cheery (I'm a blogger cliche, I know). 

Since coming back from London, I've been trying to up my blogging game, and I tried to do so for Mother's Day, where I featured homeware from Amara Living, and numerous delicious cakes, such as the Victoria Sponge pictured above. It was so so so delicious, and it's something I'll share on the blog soon, as you should all experience the yumminess of it. You won't regret it. (you'll also not regret following me on Instagram ;) just sayin')

Tips.
Good lighting is always a plus, but using the Instagram filters wisely is a brilliant way to add vibrancy. I recommend upping the brightness, sharpness and fiddling with the highlight/shadows to achieve the look you want. 

Photograph what you love, and what you'd love to see come up on your feed. Make the food look extra delicious, the doggies extra adorable and the makeup extra lust-worthy. For food, the lighting is key, so I only tend to take shots of food in the daylight, as artificial light can make everything seem very yellow. You can do a birds eye shot, or one simply from where you're sitting like I did, just make sure that you get a bit of everything in. In this shot, the pasta, polenta fries, my drink, my boyfriends calzone and even pizza cutter are featured, so don't be afraid to take a few shots and experiment before everyone tucks into all the yum food, and all thoughts of photographs are forgotten. For pets, they generally tend to get themselves into the cutest positions (awe, the darlings) but once again, lighting is key. Bertie, the little rascal, has a gorgeous glossy black coat, and this is a nightmare to edit when he's alongside his brother, the fawn shaded Brian, but then it's all about playing up the contrast, but still getting the details. You can still see Bertie's expression in this shot, as well as Brian, without either of them looking too washed out, or too dark. For makeup, I say experiment until you find a style that suits you, but I'm forever changing styles. Playing with compositions and colours, as well as props is really important. I'm obsessed with fresh flowers and petals at the moment, so you can bet that they'll be featured on the blog a lot, very soon.

If you're stuck for content like I sometimes am, I add a quote or a even a photograph from another Instagram/tumblr account, or even from Pinterest. I might even take a few pictures one day, and then spread them out over the week if I know that I'm not doing anything exciting. Remember this, pretty shoes on a pretty floor always makes for a good shot (totally obsessed with 'from where I I stand' photographs). I think one of my most important, is hashtagging. I try and include #bbloggers #fbloggers and #lbloggers in my posts, as well as #instalike, #instagood and #instagram, but you can also add as many as you want, depending on whats in the photograph, like #makeup #mac #lipstick or #pug #puppy #instapug. 


Accounts that I'm coveting right now. 
Kate from Kate La Vie, the most Instagrammable house, cat and adventures. Helen from thelovecatsinc is one of my favourite bloggers, and her Instagram is a reflection of her blog: clean, sleek and perfect for gazing at. Rebecca from rougepout_beauty is a haven from makeup lovers, with everyday makeup selections and products that you just want to steal for your own makeup bag. Sarah from temporary-secretary is a bright, colourful page full of makeup, yummy food and a dog that is so damn fluffy I just want to cuddle her all day. 


ohkalukalay Instagram 3

ohkalukalay Instagram 4

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© bexhowells. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig