Sunday 25 January 2015

Valentine's Day Gift Guide: What to get that special man in your life.



Valentine's Day Male 1 Valentine's Day Male 2 

Ahhhh Valentine's Day. That time of year again. After Christmas and New Years, but before Pancake day and Easter... probably just another day to sell a ridiculous amount of chocolate, but who am I to complain? I've never really been that keen on Valentine's Day... perhaps because I've never had flowers or anything that made me think it was a special day, but I'm trying to be less negative, as after all, it obviously makes people happy, and I like it when everyone's happy. This year I actually have a boyfriend, who although isn't that into Valentine's Day, much like myself, isn't opposed to the idea of it - so I thought, why not make some effort and give him something to show him how much he means to me? Then that brought on a panic about what to get him. Like Christmas all over again. But when House of Fraser challenged me to create a Gift Guide for Male, I though, hey, this would be brilliant practice. 

It took some serious thought as to what to put in this Gift Guide, as everyone's different, so who am I to tell or suggest what should be purchased? Instead, I went down the road of hobbies, interests and likes. Sport was one of the first things that popped into my head, and I suppose the brilliant thing about sport, is that it is so diverse. Football, Rugby, Tennis, Motorsport - the list is endless, and that is where I'll start first. My boyfriend is a huuuuuuge massive Motorsport fan, so I immediately went to my collection of films and selected two that he knows and loves: Senna and Rush. But it doesn't stop at films, there are documentaries, artwork, shows all dedicated to it - and I know this is much the same as any sport - there is definitely a huge selection of items dedicated to it, so my first suggestion would be, what are his interests? Rugby, you say? Well, how about tickets to a game for the both of you? Or if you're totally not into it, then tickets for him and one person of his choosing? How about a new bit of kit for him to wear whilst watching them? The possibilities are endless, all you need to do is make a little list (I do love a good list) and go from there. 

If he has a huge interest in reading, then why not ask him which books he fancies reading? Or if he has an interest in Geography or History, then why not get a book dedicated to that? He may love photography or travelling; it's all about finding out what he likes, and going from there. I could say, as the partner of a beauty/lifestyle/fashion blogger he should have some skincare etc, but if that's not his thing (or he's quite content with stealing yours) then hobbies/interests are where it's at. 

Valentine's Day Male 3 Valentine's Day Male 4 Valentine's Day Male 5 

If he's a collector of ties, or cufflinks for example, then why not indulge him in something unusual? These Penguin Interlink Cufflinks * (I think the exact ones have sold out, but you can view the fab range here) are right up my boyfriends street, as he's a huge fan of cufflinks, and with the interchangeable outsides, they can be customised based on mood, or outfit colour choices. Got a blue dress and want him to match it? Well, these cufflinks have you sorted. As for ties, my dad is always a fan of a whimsical tie (pretty sure he has one with Bugs Bunny on it) but that's totally a personal preference. If you think he could do with a tie that makes you smile every time you see it, then go for it. That's the thing I love about presents: they're personal to you, as well as who you're giving it to. From accessories and interests, you could always try and play it safe with a fragrance - i.e purchase one that you know he wears and loves, or be bold and buy something he likes the smell of (drag him into Boots/Superdrug/perfume shop and see what he likes the scent of, if you peruse the perfume section with him - or just lie and say you want something for your brother/dad/uncle/family member and get him to help you choose).

Lastly, a failsafe I always find, is that if they have a certain beverage they enjoy, then a bottle of that is never a wrong decision. He may be a tea/coffee fanatic or a wine/beer/spirit kinda guy, so a selection of tea/coffee or a bottle of his favourite spirit, I think, shows not only that you pay attention, but that after a long day in work, or on the weekend, he deserves to have something that he enjoys (which is totally the same for us girls. Give me a glass of Cider and a Cinnamon bun to de-stress me, any day). I think the main reason people panic at the thought of buying their partner presents, is that fear of getting it wrong but these days, I don't see any harm in asking, or having him/her make a few suggestions - as after all, if they don't let you know, all you can do is guess, and no one has the right to make you feel bad for that. Are you buying any Valentine's Day presents this year? If so, have you got any idea yet? 


Valentine's Day Male 6 Valentine's Day Male 7 Valentine's Day Male 8
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© bexhowells. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig