Monday 19 January 2015

YSL 'Dare to be' Set

YSL set1 

YSL set2 

This was perhaps one of the fanciest Christmas presents I think I've ever had, because y'know, it's YSL. And not only that, it's makeup and perfume combined, which I think is always a winner. If I recall correctly, this set was only £37/39 or so, which I think is pretty fabulous, as I've never had makeup so fancy (aside from the Kiss & Blush, also by YSL) and I was basically bouncing in my seat as I opened this. I don't doubt that High Street makeup doesn't do the job just as well as High End brands, but the packaging. Oh, the packaging. It's gold and embossed with the signature 'YSL' which just makes it all the more swoon worthy. This set called 'Dare to be' is said to be a 'collection of beauty must-haves, inspired by the sensual sent of Opium'. Now, I've always known that Opium itself, is a heavy scent and not everyone likes it, which is totally understandable. But for me, it reminds me of when I was young, and the kind of perfume that my Aunt used to wear. I used to watch her put on her makeup and perfume, and I remember thinking 'I can't wait until I'm old enough to be able to do stuff like that'. She wasn't an overtly glamorous lady, but there was always something so natural but polished about her - and when I was spritzing this perfume, I swear it took me right back to when I was young, sitting on my Aunt's bed, and watching her get ready for the day. I think that's the powerful thing about perfume and scent, it can unlock so many memories that you weren't aware that you still had. I really do miss my Aunt, as she died when I was in my early teens - I still think, to this day, that there are so many things that I would tell her and she'd listen, like she always did. Without a doubt, she's one of my favourite people, ever.

But enough of the emotional memories, let's talk about the set. Opium is a heavy fragrance, full of Oriental notes and is said to 'be embodied by an overdose of rare and precious ingredients, to take extreme femininity to the limits of indecency' - which sounds rather saucy, in my opinion. I'm all for a fragrance that makes you feel good (I reviewed two Esteé Lauder fragrances, both from the Sensuous line here; they make you smell and feel, divine.) and I think it's down to the notes of Bergamot, Patchouli and Jasmine that envelop your senses that take you, perhaps not to the very extreme of femininity, but to a rather lovely place. I suppose perfume influences mood, and vice versa, so I can imagine that if the mood calls for it, this perfume could be worn to give you that extra kick of confidence. In case you wanted to take over the world, or... y'know, take yourself to the limits of indecency. Whatever floats your boat, really. A line that I really do like is 'Her perfume, a disconcertingly bewitching new Oriental' which sounds quite exotic and interesting. It's a note that I can pick up in the perfume, as there's an underlying hint of spice that I really love about the perfume. I would definitely recommend testing this out in store before buying, as although I love it on me, and on some other people, my mum hates it on herself - it's all about what you think it smells like on yourself. So, go give it a cheeky spritz, walk around for an hour or so, and then check once it has mellowed. The 30ml Eau de Toilette is £41.50 (here).


YSL set3 \

YSL set4 

Ugh, just look at that packaging. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but wow. Just wow. Gold is just so right when done well, isn't it? The lipstick, a Rouge Pur Couture Mini No.1, is said to be 'YSL's most iconic shade of lipstick for sublime, satin-finish lips' and the colour is just as it says, iconic. It's that red. I suppose it's the red I always think of when I think YSL. A pure, not too blue, not too pink, not too orange, red - the perfect red. It glides on, and I mean it glides. It doesn't catch on dry skin or drag the lip at all. It slides on and applies like a dream. Due to its satin-finish, it doesn't last as long on the lip as a matte, but to be honest, I would happily whip out this lipstick to retouch, because I'd want to show everyone how beautiful the packaging is. It's so beautiful. The little mini is perfect to pop in your handbag for touchups on the go, or perched nicely on your dressing table. It has that classic look that will never go out of style, much like YSL itself. I'm almost 100% sure that the shade is 01 - Le Rouge, and can be viewed on the YSL website here, they're also available via Boots, but their colour selection is very confusing, compared to the YSL website. The full size lipsticks retail at £25.

The nail polish was perhaps one of the products that I was most excited about. La Laque Couture in No.6 Rouge Dada (£18.50, here), is gorgeous. A deep red, pink burgundy colour that looks so divine on fingernails and toes. I'll have to write back on the length of wear, as I think it deserves its own review (for being so damn fabulous) so watch this space for a full writeup. But I do really, really like it. Plus, the packaging and the brush is a winner - but it all depends on the formula. If the formula is a dud, then not enough pretty packaging in the world can save it. What do you think of this 'Dare to be' set? Did any of you get if for Christmas? It's still being sold as a Boots exclusive, and can be purchased here for £25, which is a total bargain I think. Have any of these products caught your eye? 

YSL set6 

YSL set5 

YSL set7
SHARE:

2 comments

© bexhowells. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig